Toast 8 includes a new feature called Disc Cataloging. Now you can store a record of all files and folders burned to disc and browse their contents at a later time on your hard drive without having to insert the disc(s).
When burning a disc, the option to catalog its contents is enabled by default and available for Mac Only and Mac & PC disc projects.
You can change the behavior for cataloging discs with the following steps:
1. Create your Mac Only
or Mac & PC
data disc project.
2. Click on the red record button.
3. Click on the Advanced
In the After Writing section, you will see an option called Catalog Disc Contents (Mac formats only) listed. With this option enabled, your projects will be automatically cataloged upon successful completion of a burn. If your project is cancelled or fails due to an error, it will not be cataloged.
The option Remind me to label disc is only available with Disc Cataloging is enabled. With this enabled, you will be prompted with a reminder to label your disc at the end of a burn so as to ensure that the name of your disc in the Disc Catalog matches the name on the disc itself.
To browse your Disc Catalog or to manually catalog discs (or other volumes including external hard drives) launch DiscCatalogMaker RE from the Extras menu.
DiscCatalogMaker RE is a powerful tool that allows you to browse through and manage your Disc Catalog.
By expanding (click the arrow to the left of each entry), you can browse through files and folders of a cataloged disc.
Double-clicking on a cataloged disc will bring up a new window allowing you to browse the contents of the selected disc.
Double-clicking on a file will attempt to open that file. If the disc containing the selected file is not inserted, you will be prompted to insert the disc at that time.
- Scan - Scan a single disc and have it added to your Disc Catalog
- Batch Scan - You will be prompted to insert disc after disc for cataloging until you cancel the process. This saves time when cataloging multiple discs that were burned with other software or not cataloged by Toast.
- Rescan - Scans the selected volume again and updates your catalog with any changes. This is ideal when cataloging external hard disks and the contents of the disk have been modified.
POWER USER TIP You can drag any disc or drive that appears on your desktop (including external hard drives) directly from Finder to the Disc Catalog window to have it cataloged.
- Info - Displays information about the selected item including dates and location.
- Print - Prints the current view including any expanded entries. If you want to print the contents of a single disc, double-click on the disc first and choose print in the new window.
- Find - Brings up the advanced search dialog which allows you to specify search criteria and locate your files fast.
- Search - This field allows you to enter all or part of a filename or folder to locate the disc it is located on.
POWER USER TIP
The default Disc Catalog database is stored in the following location:
You can create additional catalogs to organize or separate cataloged discs by launching DiscCatalogMaker RE and choosing New from the File menu.
Cataloged discs can be dragged and dropped between multiple catalogs.