Roxio Releases Popcorn 4
The Easiest Way for Mac Users to Copy, Transfer and Enjoy Personal Video Entertainment
Santa Clara, California (October 13, 2009) -- Roxio®, a division of Sonic Solutions® (NASDAQ: SNIC), today released Roxio Popcorn® 4, a Mac software application that allows consumers to quickly and easily transfer personal video entertainment from capture devices and DVDs for enjoyment on next-generation consumer electronic devices including game consoles, set-top boxes, and mobile devices.
With the new Popcorn 4 you can import and convert personal video entertainment from virtually anywhere. The application adds to its extensive format compatibility with support for AVCHD and AVCHD-Lite (high-definition camcorder files), as well as the popular Web-based Flash format. Enhanced video preparation tools make it easy to extract favorite video segments or an audio track from a DVD-Video or high-definition file. For lightning-fast file conversion, Popcorn leverages Turbo.264 HD hardware accelerator, and makes the process more convenient by adding the ability to schedule long conversion projects for when your system is idle. The application even allows you to preview how a converted file will look on your favorite device without having to perform a full file conversion.
Popcorn 4 streamlines video transfer with a new list of device "profiles" for next-generation consumer electronics including the latest handheld devices, the Palm® Pre™ and new iPod nano®, as well as game consoles such as the Nintendo® Wii and Sony PSP® go. Simply select your device from the Profile list, and Popcorn will automatically create a file that's optimized for playback on that device. If you share videos via the Web, then you'll appreciate a new feature that lets you directly upload your video to YouTube™ or the ability to output to Flash® for publishing to a personal page or site.
"Until now it has been a bit of a science experiment to connect the many sources we have for capturing and storing personal video with the diverse range of devices available for playing them back," said Matt DiMaria, general manager, Roxio division of Sonic Solutions. "This changes with Popcorn 4. Consumers no longer have to worry about file format types and device compatibility. Regardless of the video source, just point and click to copy, convert and enjoy it on almost any home or mobile screen."
Popcorn 4 Feature Highlights:
Import and Copy
- Import from virtually any video source - AVHD and AVCHD Lite, MKV, Flash (FLV, F4V), QuickTime®, AVI, VOB, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, TiVo recordings, EyeTV recordings, and more
- Create DVDs directly from the footage stored on AVCHD and AVCHD Lite camcorders
- Quickly extract multiple video clips from any DVD-Video
- Extract music from any DVD-Video and send directly to iTunes® for listening on your Mac® or iPod
- Automatically save Web video from your favorite video sharing sites to view offline
- Copy all non-encrypted DVDs, disc images or VIDEO_TS folders
- Merge multiple DVD-Video folders onto a single compilation DVD with as much as 4 hours of personal videos or EyeTV recordings
- Batch Fit-to-DVD™ lets you queue multiple DVD-Video folders for DVD-9 (dual-layer) to DVD-5 (single-layer) conversion
- Create custom DVD menus and even use a personal photo as the background
- Make backup copies of entire disc content including all movies, menus, and audio
- Includes Disc Cover RE 2 to create customized DVD labels for printing or for use with LightScribe or Labelflash drives and media
- Award-winning Toast® burning technology supports all commercial DVD formats and ensures trouble-free copies
Prepare and Convert for Living Room or On-The-Go Viewing
- Move your home video, DVD-Video, and other video files from your Mac to your living room by sending them to your TiVo DVR with on-the-fly Mac2TiVo streaming
- Publish converted video directly to YouTube
- Convert video into Adobe Flash (FLV and F4V) with web template and player controls for sharing on the web
- Quickly cut and trim your AVCHD and AVCHD Lite video to create the perfect viewing experience
- Insert bookmarks to quickly navigate video files on your iPhone and iPod
- Overscan feature for video conversions to remove lines from the edges of TV recordings
- Export profiles for iPod, iPhone, Palm, Apple TV, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, PSP Go, Blackberry® and more
- Save disc space - convert video into compressed formats - MPEG4, H.264
- Transfer shows from your TiVo DVR, watch on your Mac, burn to disc, or convert for playback on a portable device with exclusive TiVoToGo™ support for the Mac
- Schedule video conversions to run when you're away from the computer
- Pause CPU-intensive video conversions to regain control of your Mac and then resume when convenient
- Gain quick access to Movies folder, TiVo and EyeTV recordings, and Spotlight search with the improved Media Browser
- Preview video quality for selected encoding settings in seconds prior to full conversion
- Convert video at amazing speeds with Elgato's Turbo.264 HD
- Automatically add converted video files to iTunes for syncing with your Apple TV, iPhone, or iPod
Pricing and Availability
Fully Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) compatible, Popcorn 4 is available today at www.roxio.com for $49.99 and will be introduced early next month at premier retail and online stores including Apple retail stores, Best Buy, and Amazon.
Roxio enables consumers to easily manage, share, and enjoy personal digital media content and, through Roxio CinemaNow™, conveniently access premium Hollywood entertainment from a broad range of connected devices. A wide array of leading technology companies and developers rely on Roxio applications, services and technologies to bring innovative digital media functionality to next-generation devices and platforms.
Roxio is a division of Sonic Solutions (NASDAQ: SNIC), headquartered in Novato, California.
Forward Looking Statements
This release may contain forward-looking statements that are based upon current expectations, including the launch, distribution, and market acceptance of Roxio Popcorn 4. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of various risks and uncertainties, including those discussed in Sonic Solutions' annual and quarterly reports on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission. This press release should be read in conjunction with Sonic Solutions' most recent annual report on Form 10-K, Form 10-Q and other reports on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which contain a more detailed discussion of the Company's business including risks and uncertainties that may affect future results. Sonic Solutions does not undertake to update any forward-looking statements.
Sonic, the Sonic logo, Sonic Solutions, Roxio, the Roxio logo, Hollywood to Home, PhotoShow and CinemaNow, are trademarks or registered trademarks owned by Sonic Solutions in the United States and/or other countries. All other company or product names are trademarks of their respective owners and, in some cases, are used by Sonic Solutions under license. Specifications, pricing and delivery schedules are subject to change without notice.