Roxio Introduces Easy Media Creator 7
The First Integrated Digital Media Suite for the PC Unveiled at DEMO 2004
Santa Clara, California - (February 17, 2004) - Roxio®, a division of Sonic Solutions® (NASDAQ: SNIC), the leader in digital media software, defines a new software category with the unveiling of Roxio Easy Media Creator™ 7 at the world's premier launch pad for emerging technology, DEMO 2004, taking place in Scottsdale, Arizona . Easy Media Creator 7 represents the realization of Roxio's long term vision to bring together its complete line of next generation, full-featured photo, video, music, burning, and authoring applications to deliver the first and only comprehensive, integrated digital media suite for the PC.
Dozens of new features, refinements, and an enhanced burning engine make Easy Media Creator 7 an exciting upgrade for Roxio's existing customer base of over 100 million. However, by seamlessly combining the improved burning suite of Easy CD & DVD Creator™ , with its best-of-breed PhotoSuite® 7 Platinum , VideoWave® 7 Professional , and online music service Napster® , Roxio extends the appeal of Easy Media Creator 7 to include any consumer looking to take complete control of their digital lives. These sentiments were echoed in PC Magazine's review entitled Roxio Gets it Right in which the reviewer asserts "Roxio has finally pulled all the parts together from its in-house and acquired media creation utilities, and Creator 7 now sets the standard."
"For consumers, maintaining their digital lives on the PC today is a cumbersome task that forces them to manage and learn multiple applications that don't work together," said Tom Shea, President of Roxio. "Easy Media Creator 7 addresses this problem by allowing consumers to effortlessly organize, edit, protect, and share a lifetime of photos, music, video files, and data within a single, elegant environment."
Key Benefits of an Integrated Suite:
- A common user interface design and workflow model that delivers complete consistency and reduces the learning curve regardless of the type of digital media being used or the task being accomplished
- A set of shared utilities for common media tasks such as copying discs, importing photos, capturing video, making labels as well as a central utility for easily organizing, finding, and accessing files
- The ability to seamlessly pass and share media files and file information between components
While workflow consistency, design elegance, and ease of use were the primary objectives of the development effort, Easy Media Creator 7 also delivers the feature depth and power consumers expect. In fact, each component of Easy Media Creator 7 is competitive with any stand-alone consumer application on the market today.
"Since the advent of Microsoft Office it has been clear that technology buyers favor the cost benefit of the suite approach that Roxio is using for Easy Media Creator 7," said Rob Enderle, Principal Analyst for the Enderle Group. "Roxio was one of the first to recognize this in the emerging digital media segment and Easy Media Creator 7 should be preferred by an increasingly experienced buying audience because of this relatively strong benefit."
Easy Media Creator 7 will be widely available shortly at major U.S. resellers for a suggested retail price of $99.95, and is available today at www.roxio.com. Although Easy Media Creator 7 includes the complete feature set of VideoWave 7 Professional and PhotoSuite 7 Platinum, both products will also be available separately in spring 2004 for a suggested retail price of $79.95 and $49.95, respectively.
- All new Media Manager that provides a single location for organizing, viewing, and finding all media files including photo, video, and Easy Media Creator project files
- All new Capture utility that saves time and reduces complexity by delivering a consistent workflow regardless of the media type being imported or captured or the digital device being used, including CD, DVD, scanner, video and photo cameras
- All new StoryBoard, a powerful component that provides both a simplified Storyline view, as well as a powerful Timeline view for creating engaging, one-of-a-kind slide shows with favorite photos and video clips that include transitions, narration, background music, and special effects. Also included is the Motion Pictures feature, which brings still images to life by adding pan, zoom and a motion path to still photos.
- Improved Label Creator with an extraordinary range of creative control for creating disc labels and inserts in addition to an "Instant" Label Creator mode for creating disc artwork using only a couple of clicks. Label Creator also supports the ability to print directly on discs using supported printers.
- Backup project mode for scheduling regular data backups
- 128 bit encryption for password protecting discs
- Automatically archive large data files or projects across multiple CDs or DVDs
- DVD-Video copy for easily copying non-encrypted DVD-Video
- Speed and performance gains of 10% * ( * based on internal tests against Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 and other burning applications)
- Next-generation DVD Builder® 2.0, a full-featured authoring component for creating professional-looking DVDs, VCDs, or SVCDs with control over menus, buttons, chapters and backgrounds
- Edit DVD Disc for customizing DVD menus and adding or removing titles from completed DVDs
- Plug & Burn™ for easily creating a high-quality DVD disc from the entire contents of a DV-camcorder using two clicks, complete with Dolby Digital audio
- Integration of Napster, providing a seamless connection to the largest catalog of online music and offering unlimited streaming for $10 per month and individual track purchases for $0.99 or less (where available)
- Sound Editor for capturing and enhancing analog audio from LPs and cassette tapes
- Improved audio quality and speed during conversion of tracks from Audio CDs
- PhotoSuite 7 Platinum offering full-featured photo editing with the perfect mix of automated editing and hands-on creative controls
- Hundreds of professionally designed, customizable photo project templates
- PhotoStitch for creating dynamic panoramas
- Multi-photo enhance for editing a group of photos simultaneously
- VideoWave 7 Professional, offering full-featured, hands-on video editing as well as intuitive, automated video creation
- Timeline editor for professional-level fine-tune timing control and the ability to manipulate up to 14 individual tracks
- Powerful text engine with complete control over font, style, motion, path, and even lighting texture
- Enhanced file support including DivX and Dolby Digital audio that enable users to maintain high quality video and audio
- CineMagic® automated editing that produces a completed movie based on a raw video file and a music track, complete with transition effects, tempo adjustments, and beat matching
Roxio, a division of Sonic Solutions, develops and markets the best-selling digital media software in the world. Roxio offers award-winning software products for CD/DVD burning, photo editing and video editing and has an installed base of over 150 million users. Roxio distributes its products globally through strategic partnerships with major hardware manufacturers, through leading retailers, through Internet partnerships and through direct sales at www.roxio.com. Roxio's parent company, Sonic Solutions (NASDAQ: SNIC; http://www.sonic.com) is the leader in digital media software and provides a broad range of software tools and applications for creative professionals, business and home users and technology partners. Sonic's products range from professional DVD authoring systems and interactive content delivery technologies that are used to produce the majority of Hollywood movies released on DVD, to the award-winning Roxio- and Sonic-branded CD and DVD creation, playback and backup applications that have become the premiere solutions for consumers and business users worldwide. Sonic's AuthorScript® is the de facto standard for CD and DVD burning and formatting and has been licensed by major software and hardware manufacturers, including Adobe, Broadcom, Microsoft, Scientific-Atlanta, Sony, and many others. Sonic Solutions is headquartered in Marin County, California.
Safe Harbor Statement
Except for historical information, the matters discussed in this press release, in particular matters related to Roxio'sfuture revenue, net income (loss), and increases in users of the Napster service, are forward-looking statements that aresubject to certain risks and uncertainties such as decreased demand for our products; failure of the digital music industryto grow; flaws inherent in our products or services; intense competition; failure to obtain content licenses in domestic andinternational markets; failure to maintain relationships with strategic partners and content providers; general economic conditionsand third party claims, that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. Additional information on these and other factors are contained in Roxio's reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), including the Company's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q as filed with the SEC on February 17, 2004, copies of which are available at the website maintained by the SEC at http://www.sec.gov. Roxio assumes no obligation to update the forward-looking statementsincluded in this press release.
Sonic, the Sonic logo, Sonic Solutions, Roxio, MyDVD, CineMagic, Plug & Burn, LiveShare, Roxio Easy Media Creator, and AuthorScript are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sonic Solutions or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Dolby is a trademark of Dolby Laboratories. All other company or product names are trademarks of their respective owners and, in some cases, are used by Sonic Solutions under license. Specifications, pricing and delivery schedules are subject to change without notice.